Someone Else's Farm

June 20, 2010

Pizza tonight!

Filed under: what we did — Tags: , — M @ 22:10 PM

Today, it’s been cool enough that I could actually think of turning on the oven! To celebrate, we used our kale on a pizza for tonight’s dinner.

I started by making a recipe of my standard pizza dough. The recipe started out as something from Peter Reinhart’s American Pie, but I always seem to need more water than what he calls for, and I’ve changed the mixing method slightly from what he does. Then, the dough fermented through the afternoon, until it was nearly time to prep. This time, I divided the dough in half, in preparation for making two pizzas on half-sheet pans in the oven. Ordinarily, I’d bake my pizzas on screens or tiles, but we had a friend over. She’s in the process of discovering food, so I purposely used equipment that had a better chance of being in her kitchen.

I started by removing half a pound of Italian sausage from its casing, and browning it in a nonstick frying pan. The sausage came from Bosco & Geers, a small grocery store with a terrific meat counter. I usually get half mild and half hot sausage from them, and that’s what I did this time. One reason I particularly like their sausage is that it doesn’t give off a ton of grease, and this was no exception. Nonetheless, when it was completely cooked, I removed it from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels.

Next, the kale. It was easy to deal with because Casey washed it the night we brought it home, and put it in a bag in the fridge. I just took each leaf and cut it crosswise into ribbons a bit less than an inch wide, all the way down to where there was no more leaf on the stem. I added a little olive oil and a flattened clove of garlic to the pan I’d used for the sausage, heated them up together, and removed the garlic when it turned a light golden color. Then I added the kale ribbons and a splash of water to the garlicky oil, and tossed them for a few minutes until they looked done. When they cooled enough to handle with my asbestos fingers, I squeezed the greens dry by handfuls, and then chopped through the handful-sized clumps with my knife and set them aside.

Next, the dough. Each half got stretched to fill a half-sheet pan that had been liberally lubricated with olive oil. My sauce came from the freezer; I think it was the remnants of a can of Don Pepino pizza sauce, which I’d frozen in ice cube trays. The cheese was a block of mozzarella, which I sliced by knife. And the toppings: one pizza got the kale and sausage; the other got turkey pepperoni. They went into the oven (preheated to 350 °F; convection fan on) for a total of about 25 minutes. We waited another 5 minutes before trying to cut them.

The oil in the pans did its job: the pizzas didn’t stick irreparably. And the pizza was tasty.


1 Comment »

  1. I have many of Peter Reinhart’s books and I always use them as a stepping off point when using his recipes. Like you, I have always had to adjust the amount of water called for. The most likely culprit of this is because you are not using the exact same type of flour from the exact same manufacturer with exactly the same protein contents that he uses for his recipes. Also, humidity and the age of the flour can affect the amount of water required.

    I know you guys just started your blog, but I’m enjoying what I am reading so far. Keep up the good work!


    (And thanks for linking to my blog; I’m honored.)

    Comment by Tom — June 23, 2010 @ 15:39 PM

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: