Someone Else's Farm

June 23, 2010

Asparagus with shells

Filed under: what we did — Tags: , — M @ 18:34 PM

Dinner tonight: a sort of asparagus carbonara.
Asparagus carbonara

I started, of course, by putting a pot of salted water on the stove for the pasta: about half a pound of medium shells. I also large-diced an onion, and put two eggs into hot tap water to get the refrigerator chill off. We had a wedge  of provolone in the fridge, so I grated that on a box grater. And I contemplated the other half bunch of chard, but chose to leave it in the fridge.

I tried Alton Brown’s microwave steaming method for the asparagus. (We just watched the Asparagus episode of Good Eats last night.) As directed, I chopped off the bottom couple of inches of the bunch of asparagus, wet a bunch of paper towels, laid the asparagus on the paper towels, sprinkled on a three-finger pinch of salt, and rolled the salted asparagus up in the wet paper towels. The package went into the microwave (ours has a turntable built in) with the seam facing down, and I started it going (3 minutes) just after I added the pasta to the boiling water.

While the pasta boiled, I browned the onion in a bit of butter, using the same cheapo Ikea wok we’d used last night. (It had spent the night upside-down on the stove, and was patiently waiting for me all day!) By the time the onion was browned, the asparagus was nicely cooked. I carefully removed it from the steamy microwave, unwrapped it, saved a few spears to leave whole, cut the rest into pieces a couple of inches (or so) long, and put it near the stove. By the time all this had happened, the eggs were warmed nicely, so I cracked them into a bowl and beat them, and put that by the stove also. When the pasta was al dente, I drained it (but not too well) and put it, and the asparagus, into the wok with the browned onion. I gave them a quick toss, dumped in the beaten eggs and mixed it all, decided it looked a bit dry so I added a little bit of the pasta-cooking water, and mixed some more. At this point, all it needed was the grated provolone. I put portions into two bowls, added a couple of the whole spears to each bowl, et voilà! Dinner is served.

I was hungry tonight. No leftovers. Still have half a batch of chard, the head of lettuce, and some radishes. Guess I’d better plan to eat a radish-and-butter sandwich with lettuce tomorrow, before we pick up the new box.


1 Comment »

  1. […] those lines. Er, no. Not this week: see above.) I took about half of this week’s bunch, and steamed it. But I didn’t remember to do this soon enough for the asparagus to cool before we were […]

    Pingback by Hot. Again. Salad. Again. « Someone Else's Farm — July 15, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: